What remains of the primitive church is the first chapel, located on the right going in, as well as the first stretch of the dome-shaped structure of the nave, where one can see the coat of arms of Capdepera.
The temple had to maintain two images; that of Saint Juan and that of Santo Cristo. The latter, made from orange tree wood and originally polychrome, is a primitive Gothic carving that was restored and returned to its original place, where it now resides.
The small church of Saint Juan was refurbished in the 16th century and became the nave of the current church. At the beginning of the 18th century the current, lateral chapels were added on. The Baroque chapel of Nuestra Señora del Rosario (1703) (Our Lady of the Rosary) corresponds to this period.
From 1840, when the village church had been built, masses were no longer held there. It was not until 1871 that services returned to the church, which by then had become the sanctuary of the Virgen de la Esperanza (Virgin of Hope), whose feast day is held on 18th December.